I want to chime in here.  The reason (IMHO) that they are asking you to test
the latest release is because you are reporting a symptom of a bigger
problem.

They *think* that they fixed the bigger problem.  However, the best way to
be *sure* (like you want) -- is to have people see if the symptoms are gone.
Instead of recreating every problem that people describe... they try to fix
the root cause, and see if all of the related problems go away.

Make sense?

-Brian

Amazing.  No report has been made that the bug has been resolved, yet you
have a burr up your butt to close out the problem anyway.  Great debugging
technique.  Truly professional.  Good to know PHP is in such good hands.

Yes, to answer your comment, I DO remember that I wrote that.  In fact, it's
basically a repeat of the same thing I wrote earlier, since you did not seem
to pay attention the first time.  Each time a point release is out, I check
it, as I--like many PHP users--would like to have the latest features and
bug fixes.  PHP totally kicks ass, but unfortunately there are some glitches
from time to time.

HOWEVER, a nightly CVS build is not considered by most to be a stable
release.  Ergo we have such things as RELEASE CANDIDATES.  PHP is now at
4.0.6 RC3 if memory recalls correctly.  However, this too is not a full
release.  RCs are basically like beta releases for those so inclined (and
with sufficient time) to be guinea pigs.  CVS nightly builds are for those
normally heavily involved, RCs are for those who want to help point out
flaws in the next release, and then actual point releases are what most
users obtain.

I apologize if I don't satisfy your sudden demand for people to jump at
testing your nightly builds or RCs.  But like many I actually have a job and
life that requires most of my time.  I gladly test full point releases, but
unfortunately do not have time to be your daily minion.

This is the first time I've witnessed anyone involved with PHP development
act in such a manner.  I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Do you remember this:
> I have not tried the latest snapshots.  I tend to wait for point releases
to re
> test.
> Unfortunately I do not have that much time to keep retesting with the
nightly b
> uilds, etc.
> When 4.0.6 is released, I will test with that.

Then reopen this report when it is not fixed in 4.0.6.

period

What is this, the Microsoft approach to dealing with bugs?  You have no
evidence if the problem is resolved, yet you close out the problem anyway.
Burying your head in the sand doesn't make the issue go away.

I'm sorry, but you don't close a problem until a resolution is found and the
fix confirmed.  There is a session bug, which existed in early 4.0 releases,
was then fixed, and is now broken again.  The last working version of PHP
for Windows that did sessions properly was 4.0.3pl1, and nothing thus far
indicates that this issue has been resolved since then.

I have updated the PHP Version for you to reflect the problem still exists
in 4.0.5, the latest release most users would touch.  Most PHP users are not
about to touch nightly CVS builds.  That's why you HAVE point releases like
4.0.3pl1, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, etc.

This problem should remain open until it can be confirmed that the bug is
fixed.

Reopen this if it doesn't work with 4.0.6.

--Jani

I have not tried the latest snapshots.  I tend to wait for point releases to
retest.  Unfortunately I do not have that much time to keep retesting with
the nightly builds, etc.  When 4.0.6 is released, I will test with that.

Does this happen with latest snapshot from
http://www.zend.com/snapshots/ ??

There have been some fixes regarding this.

--Jani

The remainder of the comments for this report are too long.  To view the
rest of the comments, please view the bug report online.

Full Bug description available at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=8989