Is it better to break things once or twice? Ok, not completely break,
but now I have some code working with PHP4, later I will have some code
that will work with PHP4.1, and finally I will re-write it to work with
the latest-and-best PHP5. It is more like saying "Here is my script, you
can run it with this version of PHP *only*, if you want to run it with
another one, I have another version of the script for you".

On a sidenote, could we just create a different include (e.g.
include_relative, like there is include_once) that will incorporate the
desired functionality, and not touch include() at all? Or am I
suggestiong yet another bloat? Or am I missing the point here? Or did we
all agree that the current include() operation is so buggy that it
warrants a change breaking compatibility and soon?

I do not think that going to 5.0 warrants letting the hell break loose
and break everything, I would still like to be able to run at least some
of my php4 scripts once php5 comes out, and I have lots of very
elaborate solutions to work around the current problems with include().
Such a change will not break my code, but I can easily see what code
that *will* break, and I think there will be a lot of it.

Vlad