From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: July 25, 2001 3:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Bug #12381: Data Structure Dumper Feature Needed

From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux
PHP version:      4.0.6
PHP Bug Type:     Feature/Change Request
Bug description:  Data Structure Dumper Feature Needed

I'd like to suggest that a built in function for dumping PHP data
structures (arrays, variables, etc.) into a string which could then be
exported to a file be created. This would work something like the Perl
Data::Dumper module.  This would be extremely useful for creation of
persistent datastructures, especially helpful for programs which include
web interfaces to edit settings which are used by another portion of the
program.

I find myself writing simple code to do this a lot, but it is something
that gets pretty  messy whenever I'm trying to recreate multidimensional
arrays and such so that they can later be required into a PHP page.  I'm
sure that a function of this type would be useful to a lot of PHP users and
I hope you'll consider adding it.

I've looked at a lot of the code repository sites by the way, and I haven't
found anything that seems to resemble what I'm looking for already
available, but I think it's the type of thing that should really be a part
of the base PHP.

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=12381&edit=1