ID: 12381
Updated by: andy
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: Linux
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

have you tried something like the serialize and unserialize
functions?

http://php.net/manual/en/function.serialize.php
http://php.net/manual/en/function.unserialize.php

I'd like to suggest that a built in function for dumping PHP data structures (arrays,
variables, etc.) into a string which could then be exported to a file be created. This
would work something like the Perl Data::Dumper module.  This would be extremely
useful for creation of persistent datastructures, especially helpful for programs
which include web interfaces to edit settings which are used by another portion of the
program.

I find myself writing simple code to do this a lot, but it is something that gets
pretty  messy whenever I'm trying to recreate multidimensional arrays and such so that
they can later be required into a PHP page.  I'm sure that a function of this type
would be useful to a lot of PHP users and I hope you'll consider adding it.

I've looked at a lot of the code repository sites by the way, and I haven't found
anything that seems to resemble what I'm looking for already available, but I think
it's the type of thing that should really be a part of the base PHP.