At 19:29 06/08/2001, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
>On Mon, 06 Aug 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:
> > By the way, I can't really quantify significantly, as it depends on what
> > kind of minit you have.  For a module such as the COM module, it can
> double
> > the amount of time it takes the script to run (if you load typelibs).  For
> > some other modules, it can be almost anything, if your minit is mostly
> > empty.  As a general rule, it's a bad thing, since it repeats things which
> > don't have to be repeated.
>
>I thought you meant "significantly" worse run-time perfomance because
>the engine can't optimize for function arguments, not because of what
>kind of MINIT an extension has. We're still talking about standalone PHP
>binary here.

Ah.  Well, YMMV.  If you have repeated calls to functions (not class
methods, these are not optimized), it can be quite significant - you have
an extra opcode that includes some stack manipulation, string duplication
and strtolower of the function name, and slower pass_param opcodes.  I
never actually benchmarked it, but it can be quite significant.

Zeev