ID: 12668
Updated by: andrei
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: PCRE related
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.0
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

I could change it so that only " and \ are slashed. From what I remember about some of
the complaints before addslashes behavior was implemented, people had security
concerns about using some external vars as parts of eval strings. If the vars
contained some quotes, some unexpected or dangerous code could be evaluated..

Ah - I see - so what I'm seeing is actually a symptom of the basic issue that
addslashes() is not a perfect reciprocal to putting addslashes-affected characters
inside a string - i.e.:

<?php
// double-quoted strings
echo "\""; // produces "
echo "\\"; // produces \
// but
echo "\'"; // produces \'

// single-quoted strings
echo '\''; // produces '
echo '\\'; // produces \
// but
echo '\"'; // produces \"
?>

whereas in mysql:

select "\""; # produces "
select "\\"; # produces \
select "\'"; # produces '

and perl is yet again different (with strings in single-quotes anyway):

print "\""; # produces "
print "\\"; # produces \
print "\'"; # produces '

print '\''; # produces '
print '\\'; # produces \\
print '\"'; # produces "

I suppose backward compatibility would prevent this core behavior from being changed
at this stage - it's just kinda screwy that both single-quoting and double-quoting of
strings is a bit of a compromise in terms of slashed characters.

Perhaps instead of sending preg_replace carry-forward values through the entire
addslashes routine, only " and \ could be returned as slashed, and users could stick
with using double-quotes for strings within the (eval'd) replace string... that would
prevent people from having to use a hack get it to work as expected.

Thanks,
Chuck

of course I meant addslashes()

how about creating either two different functions, or another
attribute to preg_replace, that you can set true/false to run
that add_slashes or not?

This is because preg_replace() runs addslashes() internally on the captured
subpatterns before substrituting them into the replacement string. It didn't used to
but a few people complained that it was really hard to pass $n to a function because
of single and double-quote conflicts. To be frank, I'm not sure how to solve this
problem adequately, one group of people want the addslashes() run, the other one
doesn't.

Simple problem - the script:

<?php
echo preg_replace("/'/e", "\"$0\"", "'");
// that's double-quote, slash, single-quote, slash, e, double-quote
// then double-quote, escaped double-quote, $0, escaped double-quote, double-quote
// then double-quote, single-quote, double-quote
// meaning = "replace all occurrences of single-quote with the same string matched
during the search - i.e. single-quote"
?>

should produce one plain single-quote, but instead it produces an escaped
single-quote.

No other character seems to exhibit this behavior.

Configuration:
 './configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php4' '--with-mysql'
'--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-gd=/usr/local'
'--with-zlib-dir=shared' '--with-ttf' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local'
'--with-png-dir=/usr/local' '--with-tiff-dir=/usr/local' '--with-mcrypt'
'--with-pdflib'

No other unusual configuration setups