From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux 2.4.7 glibc 2.2.2
PHP version:      4.0.6
PHP Bug Type:     Session related
Bug description:  custom sess_write not called to start session

Bug #9002 describing problems with custom session handlers still appears to
be unresolved in PHP v4.0.6.  The problem that still persists is the
sess_write handler is never called to create a new session when register
globals is turned off.

An interesting behavior is that after a session is successfully started by
a script with register globals turned on, you can turn register globals off
and the sess_write handler will be called properly for the life of the
session.  The sess_write handler is never called unless a session already
exists.  As a workaround we have one script that has register globals
turned on with an ini_set call and we start the session in the script.
After the session is started by the script with register_globals enabled
all of our other scripts with register_globals disabled work fine with our
custom session handlers.

our PHP configure options:
 './configure' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--with-gd=/usr/local'
'--with-xml' '--with-ttf=/usr/local' '--disable-debug'
'--enable-inline-optimizations'

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=13787&edit=1