From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 8:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Bug #13787 Updated: custom sess_write not called to
start session

ID: 13787
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Session related
Operating System: Linux 2.4.7 glibc 2.2.2
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

I don't think it is a bug in my session handler because everything works
properly with register globals turned on.  Another PHP user read my bug
report and said he is having the same problem even after upgrading to
PHP version 4.1.0.  The code I am using is basically the code posted at
PHPBuilder http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/ying20000602.php3

I have done some testing by writing to a log file from the sess_write
handler and it is never called if a session does not already exist.

Thanks,

Billy

It should be bugs in your session save handlers.

Search zend.com code exchange for PosrgreSQL session save handler as an
example. (Under HTTP category).

--

Yasuo Ohgaki

Bug #9002 describing problems with custom session handlers still appears
to be unresolved in PHP v4.0.6.  The problem that still persists is the
sess_write handler is never called to create a new session when register
globals is turned off.

An interesting behavior is that after a session is successfully started
by a script with register globals turned on, you can turn register
globals off and the sess_write handler will be called properly for the
life of the session.  The sess_write handler is never called unless a
session already exists.  As a workaround we have one script that has
register globals turned on with an ini_set call and we start the session
in the script.  After the session is started by the script with
register_globals enabled all of our other scripts with register_globals
disabled work fine with our custom session handlers.

our PHP configure options:

 './configure' '--with-mysql=/usr/local' '--with-gd=/usr/local'
'--with-xml' '--with-ttf=/usr/local' '--disable-debug'
'--enable-inline-optimizations'