I've tried many combinations on the specific box, i will try to explain.

The box initially was a Slackware 7.1 box with glibc-2.1.3. Tried the
following combinations:

apache_1.3.20 + php-4.0.6
apache_1.3.22 + php-4.0.6
apache_1.3.22 + php4-latest from 20011106

Then after checking out the backtraces(included in my initial bug report) i
saw the crash happened due to some routine in libc. I thought since the box
was running an old slackware version i'd upgrade it to slackware-8.0, and
hope the problem would be gone.
Installed slackware-8.0 (glibc-2.2.3) and tried the following combinations:

apache_1.3.22 + php-4.0.6
apache_1.3.22 + php4-latest from 20011106

also tried leaving out some of the features i compiled into PHP, and tried
without some of the apache modules i used to have. No luck. The weirdest
thing is probably that the problem disappears when i compile PHP with debug
enabled, and that the scripts causing the segfaults do not always result in
a segfault (sometimes, like 1 in 10 times, they do run properly).

Let me know if you need any more info. I can provide you with php scripts
that cause this crash.

Hans Rakers