James Moore wrote:

> > > I agree. It's very confusing that <?php= doesn't exist.
> >
> > Since nobody really objects to the addition of <?php= tag, why doesn't
> > somebody with the Zend CVS access commits the Yasuo's patch so we can
> close
> > this discussion.
>
> Sorry to put a spanner in the works but adding <?php= isnt a good idea, its
> more magic and I dont think we should be adding any more magic to the
> language. <?php echo is only 4 exta chars and is more readable, I would vote
> for depreciation of <?= and <%= but I know thats not going to happen either,
> lets not make the situation worse by adding more magic.

Remember, PHP is hackish/magical by nature. The language itself is
embedded, you can't write a single code file without the magical open
tag in front! Even hash-bang shell scripts need to start with <?php.
That's what's magical about PHP. With this perspective, I think the
"remove short tags NOW!" protest demonstration is utterly pointless. :-)

 - Stig