I've really run into a wall trying to get single charachters from stdin.

Something similar to the getchar macro or a real fgetc would be nice.

The current behavior is that more than a signle charachter can be typed and
fgetc only returns when it sees a "\n".

I'd like it to return immediatly after the first charachter.

fscanf with a format string something like "%c" requires a "\n" before
returning as well, though I suppose that is more understandable.

various things like fread with length of 1 also don't work.

This is missing functionality for which there is no workaround that would
certainly make shell scripting easier. It should be relativly trivial to
implement, either an unbuffered fgetc option or a new function or something.

-AZ