Doh... That's right. Stream input is usually buffered. Futzing with tty is
pretty ugly I think (stty/ioctl)...

On further reflection it seems that the getting a wrapper for ncurses or cdk
would be a real nice win for PHP. Perl's got a cdk module, think Python has
a ncurses wrapper. If they have reasonable license terms might be easy to
use those as a starting point for a php wrapper.

Wrapping these ncurses / cdk would be a nice add for PHP on the commandline.

Unfortunatly don't have the time to attempt something like this.

-AZ