Well yes all (ok molst) of the DB abstraction layers (including
Metabase) have an OO style interface and do what should be PHP internal
in a perfect world

I am hoping that DBX will maybe become the basis for a C based
abstraction layer. Here again I would suggest the step by step
transition:
First implement the basic features and provide a class in PHP that does
the rest (was about to suggest a specific layer but I do not want to
drag this uptil now unproductive discussion from the pear mailing list
here ... so everybody please try to do the same)

And then step by step you move more of the complexity into the C layer

As such it sounds to me to make more sense on first unifying the API's
and doing the OO Wrapping in PHP and once that is working nicely and
people have figured out the features they want etc you can go an make a
nice OO interface in C

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]