On Thursday 03 January 2002 2:18 pm, Markus Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:06:23PM +0000, Phil Driscoll wrote :
> > Sounds good to me except for the OO wrappers.
> >
> > Do we already have OO wrappers to anything else not in user land? - if so
> > then I'm probably too late to make the point, but to me such a thing
> > feels 'all wrong' and 'not php'. I'm particularly concerned that we don't
> > create functionality which is only accessible by OO means.
>
>     Why?

Because I suspect there are plenty of users who either don't know, dislike,
or actively hate OO programming. PHP started as a procedural language and
currently has OO as a 'bolt on' (I know this will change with ZE2), but it
'feels' mainly procedural.

I know that if when I first discovered PHP, if there had been important
things it wouldn't let me do without resorting to OO then I would have just
continued using C or moved on down the line to find something else.

I can't believe I'm the only user in that category. The dev list, of course,
will have a disproportionate number of recent(ish) CS graduates who've been
through the OO indoctrination classes, so the heated OO discussions here and
on the ZE2 list may not impact anywhere near as much as you might think on
the average PHP user.

Cheers

--
Phil Driscoll