> > 2. Pitch in and get Apache 2's perchild mpm up to snuff.  There are
> >    all sorts of other issues associated with this option though, like
> >    needing to make sure all the stuff we link against is threadsafe.
>
> Actually this isn't as bad as it sounds. I've been doing some of the
> work necessary to make perchild portable lately. And as for making it
> threadsafe/reentrant, I think those kinds of problems are going to show
> up with the worker MPM as well (which seems to be working fairly well
> with PHP at the moment).

True, but the perchild mpm is really rough.  I was trying it yesterday and
it looks like it needs some serious work.  We also have to realize that
the target market here is the big-ass ISP and they are traditionally slow
to upgrade so it will be a good long while before they are going to go
anywhere near Apache2+perchild.  We still need to work towards getting
this stable and useful, but it is not the solution for 6-months from now
in my opinion.  More like 18-months out.

-Rasmus