> On Fri, 31 May 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote:
>
> > >As Rasmus stated earlier the reason the MySQL stuff is bundled is due to
> > >an assurance from the MySQL developers to keep it updated.
> >
> > I don't think such an assurance existed to begin with, and whether it
> > existed or not, it definitely wasn't the case in the beginning, and I'm not
> > sure how well it's going now.  We bundled it not because of any assurance,
> > but because we decided it was important, and we were fed off the "Call to
> > undefined function" calls on php-general.
>
> I'm basing my stance on a post made earlier in this discussion by Rasmus.
> I really wasn't around during that decision process, so I can't comment on
> it further.

Well, I guess perhaps "Assurance" was not the right word, but the decision
to bundle it came after a face to face meeting with the main MySQL folks
who at that time agreed to maintain it.  In this case the libxml2
developers appear to think it is a bad idea for us to bundle it and I
would like to understand a bit more why they have this opinion.  I really
don't like bundling something against the wishes of the authors.

-Rasmus