While I was searching for a way to automatically compress all
    the content my server spits out (except images and stuff) I
    was search for a way too. Thanks to Damien he pointed me out
    to mod_gzip which is a wonderful piece of software. First,
    you don't have to take care of this in your PHP script, you
    can configure what to compress (by filename or mimetype) plus
    you get a nice tool with which gives you a nice graph in no
    time telling you how the compression works.

    Of course this is only possible if you actually can
    administrate the server, too. So far our compression rate for
    ~700 mb traffic is at ~15% which is still ~100mb.

    - Markus

    ps: nice [OT] subjects filter we've on lists.php.net :-P

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:47:12AM +0900, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote :
> Jaime Bozza wrote:
> >And how do you set zlib.outputcompression on at runtime?
> >

> .htaccess if you are using Apache.
>
> If you use web server other than Aapche, use ob_gzhandler()
> I don't like ob_gzhandler() since PHP will misbehave easily
> by user's mistakes. However, it should be used in this case.
>
> --
> Yasuo Ohgaki
>

> --

GnuPG Key: http://guru.josefine.at/~mfischer/C2272BD0.asc
"uhmm.. the dates in the bug db.. aren't they printed a bit wrong, i mean, did
i miss when we changed to 53 days/month ( +2002-02-53) ? =P - N0v3ll