> But sometimes they add desired functionality. Like building CLI at the same
> time as another SAPI module. This "hack" has worked quite well for the past
> half a year or so and it is generaly considered very stable. At least I have
> not heard that there were problems with it.

    The CLI build is not properly integrated in all areas.  It is
    just tacked onto the rest of the system, something which is
    extremely undesirable from my POV as the designer of the
    build system.

    This is not a trend I wish to continue.  The design of the
    build system needs to be suitably extended.  Hacks should not
    replace on-going refinement.

> Yes I was looking for a way to make "make install" part work in a satisfactory
> way. You did nothing in that regard. You just made impossible to build a SAPI
> + CLI + LIB at the same time. In fact you broke "make install" alltogether
> when compiled with (IMHO unneccessary) --enable-embed option.

    Well, the install target did not work, because you
    made no visible effort to integrate your SAPI module with the
    rest of PHP.

    After my commit, it is just a matter of defining INSTALL_IT
    in sapi/embed/config.m4 to make the install target work.
    Please refer to any other sapi/*/config.m4 for sufficient
    examples.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate
    to ask.

> Your comments to Derick make very little sense to me. We have a bunch of

    I would hope for input from your side regarding what
    requirements your SAPI module has (e.g. whether it makes
    sense to have a separate SAPI class for it).  Such a
    conversation could have taken place before the commit, but
    it is not too late to commence that dialogue now.

    - Sascha