We had the same discussion. I brought it up last time.

There were patch for "<?xml" just like yours.

The outcome was modified manual page that discourages
use of short tag for portable script.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php

Current php.ini-dist has
==========
; Allow the <? tag.  Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are recognized.
short_open_tag = On

Adding appropriate comment is better than adding token
to language. i.e. compatibility between new and old PHP.

The best way to go is discourage use of short tag
whenever possible, change default few years later, IMHO.

Even if we never change the default,
<?php echo "<?xml ......?>";?> works always w/o patch.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki