Hi Tony,

There's not much we can tell you about this unless you post the
rest of the lines of that function.

Perhaps you did not include <php.h> ?

Note:  always prefer this:

  read(fd, buf, sizeof(buf));

to this:

  read(fd, buf, 1024);

The former is immune to buffer overruns if you change the size of
buf at a later date, and is much more readable.

--Wez.