Zeev Suraski wrote:
At 15:29 25/10/2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:

Are you going to set output_buffering=Off by default, too?
Since the obscurity still exists with output buffers.
It's even worse with broken output buffer function.

Huh?  It IS off by default.
Of course I know it is off by default in php.ini-dist and code,
but it is on by default in php.ini-recommended. If users have
php.ini based on php.ini-recommended, there will be a default
buffer.

It does not make sense at all.

I really don't understand why people are having problems
to understand such intuitive issue.

BTW, I don't object to have output_buffering=Off by default
for CLI, since it's default of php.ini-dist and it does not
make much sense for CLI.

Its default in php.ini-dist is OFF. You might be mixing it with php.ini-recommended, which also comes with an explanation of what it would do, but either way, php.ini-recommended has much less exposure when compraed to php.ini-dist.
Don't you want usable behavior with CLI?
Even if users are using their web server php.ini?

Use php.ini-recommended as your default, then you'll see.

BTW, we should better to have a little different ini
selection for CLI.

For instance,

/etc/phprc or php.ini
~/.phprc or php.ini

which are standard locations of rc files under UNIX
like systems.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki