> This is not FUD. He brought up the issue of M$ practises. And I didn't
> hear you answer the question about why is "parse error" more difficult to
> understand than "register_shutdown_function"?

    You need to learn a bit about writing good compilers.  It is
    easy to write a compiler; it is hard to write a compiler with
    good diagnostic output.

    Yes, "parse error" is never a good error message, regardless
    of the language it is presented in.  Fortunately, most error
    messages in PHP are easier to digest and actually provide
    some clue.

    - Sascha