On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Shane Caraveo wrote:

>> Simply because calling the command line interface should be easy - as easy
>> as calling awk or perl or whatever. Every server api module like cgi must be
>> installed, so the name does not matter there. But having long names for
>> command line utils is a bad idea.
>>
>> marcus
>>

>Well, fortunately I never have time for qa, handling bugs, etc. etc. so
>I wont have to deal with the backlash that this name change **WILL**
>cause.  I feel sorry for those who have the time to deal with it, as
>that will be about all they will deal with, rather than handling more
>important bugs and issues.  Basicly, the namechange goes against several

    Don't worry, we'll make some quick-resolve for it too.
    We didn't get overwhelmed by that register_globals issue either.
    (like some people thought we would :)

>years of history in php, tons of documentation, general community
>knowledge, etc., and top it off with the fact that in reality, probably
>less than 1 percent of users use php as a command line language.

    It's evolution. :) And we do hope that the amount of people using
    PHP on command line increases. Besides, having the "php-cgi" binary
    makes it very clear what it is about. But naming the CLI binary
    "php-cli" definately does not.

    I'm actually a bit uncertain why we actually have separate binaries.
    (or I've forgot why they were separated..anyone?)

    --Jani