On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> At 15:48 15/12/2002, Derick Rethans wrote:
> >I see that renaming the CGI to php-cgi might break things indeed, and
> >that's never a good idea. But so is changing the name of the CLI (php)
> >to something else. It also breaks things, not only for me, but also for
> >countless others using the CLI with the name 'php'. We also need to
> >think about these users as well. This leaves my opinion that i'm -1 on
> >renaming the CLI to something else, and i'm a -0 (yes this changed :) on
> >renaming the CGI. This leaves the (IMO) only possible solution:
> >integrate them back into one binary and adding some magic which triggers
> >CLI or CGI mode (perhaps to check for some environment variable).
>
> This is what we used to have.  Maybe we can have a 'surefire' switch that
> ensures PHP starts up in CLI mode, so that invoking PHP from within a CGI
> won't cause it to run as a CGI itself?

That sounds like it is needed. I only have one concern with integrating
them, and that is how we are going to handle building the CLI/CGI and
another sapi (like the apache module) at the same time. A lot of people
do think this is quite useful. I dont see much problems though with
this. Another point might be that not all extensions (like ncurses) are
very useful in a CGI environment, but as I see that people using ncurses
with PHP are pretty sparse, they can always recompile PHP if they really
do not want the ncurses extension in their CGI.

Derick