Andrei Zmievski wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Andi Gutmans wrote:

I doubt this will happen fast enough. We should just release the way we released 4.2.x, which as far as I know was php for CGI and php-cli for CLI or am I a bit behind things? :)

Derick and I hashed it out on IRC and we have a proposal:

We should keep 4.2.x behavior with some modifications. CLI and CGI
should always be built unless disabled, and the executables should go
into sapi/cli/php and sapi/cgi/php, respectively. In addition, 'install'
target should be modified to detect whether the user is trying to
install either one of these SAPIs, output a warning message regarding
the potential naming problem, and stop. Let the user install CLI and CGI
manually, basically.

I really hope we can come to an agreement on this.
I can agree to, and live with, this to some extent. The changes I would want on this would be...

* On win32, cli remains php-cli.exe. Windows users can rename the executable if they feel it's necessary.

* On other platforms, the cgi *is* installed by 'make install' by default. To install cli something like, 'make install-cli', or 'configure --install-cli=[DIR] --install-cgi=[DIR]' can be used (the second option would be more usefull for installing both, using both without [DIR] on one results in a configure error). A note regarding what was installed and where should be added to the output resulting from an install.

* Binaries are combined into a single binary in a later release. I'd be happy to do this in January.

* Documentation is added in regards to this issue.

Shane