That's a bit of an odd way to implement it - are you sure closing the link explicitly at that point won't interfere with anything? In 4.1 (or whatever the last version it worked like that was), it was taking advantage of the fact PHP's resource pool was being destroyed after the link was already closed. It sounds a bit risky to me to close the link explicitly at this point, even though I'm not currently aware of any immediate problem this may cause (maybe it would ruin keep-alive?)

Zeev