In
> trying to figure out why I remembered incorrectly, I realized the
> reason why you (in general) want to resolve the path to a canonical
> path is that you can seriously break include_once and require_once if
> you dont.  Otherwise require_once wont correctly work if you do
>
> <?
>        require_once("/home/george/foo.php");
>        require_once("/home/george/../george/foo.php");
> ?>
>
> (of course you can put together a less contrived example).

Yeah, we had the same problem in PEAR. And that is why we added
set_include_path to make it possible for people to keep their own little
repository of PEAR apps and still ensuring that they don't use different
relative include paths. I was really not happy with the solution at the
time. Because that means that I either have to fix all the PEAR apps
that I bundle with my application to not use the expensive include_path
or accept the performance hit.

Regards,
Lukas