At 00:25 26/01/2003, Friedhelm Betz wrote:
Saturday, January 25, 2003, Zeev Suraski wrote:

>>1.) Are there future plans to include the zlib sources?

> No. zlib is included in a similar way to the way we include
> bindlib_w32. It's in a different repository on cvs.php.net, that we expect
> to be checked out and built by the time you build PHP.

Ok, from users point the same...
Maybe my question was a bit misleading, I meant provided within
win32build.zip, maybe.

>>2.) Should users be advised to modify config.win32.h.in

> Nope (this particular file doesn't exist anymore, btw)

Hm, you are right, at least not in the snapshots, but in the official
release 4.3.0 from php.net... anyway.

>>3.) Should users be advised to download zlib sources, building
>> zlib.lib?

> Not sure - I think that zlib should be in the win32build.zip archive.

Nope;-)

As zlib is builtin and the workspaces rely on, it would be really nice
for users if they are done by downloading php4.xxx.tar.gz, win32build.zip
and bindlib_w32.zip, the way like other standard builtin modules are fine
with.
I'm not really following. I have to admit I never built PHP from the pre-made library binaries, so it sounds awkward to me. Are we making people download the bindlib source and build it? If so, we should do the same with zlib (looking into it, I guess it means creating a zlib.zip file, like bindlib_w32.zip). zlib and bindlib sit in exactly the same level of integration with PHP.

To me it sounds a bit weird that the ready-made builds of these libraries don't come bundled in win32build.zip, but I guess that's fine as long as it's documented.

Zeev