FWIW:

Given this mess, and the fact that any php-coded stri_replace can be overloaded,
I think a new function is better. Also - it's in sync with the other stri*
functions. Either change all with a case-insensativity paramenter, or keep the
namingconventions that 'plague' these functions.

Aggreed!

The additional parameter solution is a pure developer friendly solution. The separate
function is a user friendly solution. If we would like to make all happy then add the
case-insensativity parameter to all "str_" (not "stri_") functions and add the additional
function.

marcus