> On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Harald Radi wrote:
> > because then we have userland -> ze2 oo -> userland -> php
> function instead of
> > userland -> php function. maybe that's negligable, i didn't
> benchmark it.
>
> Hmm, care to explain this? It should just be object call ->
> PHP function
> call.

if $obj is an overloaded object $obj->method() would directly call the native
implementation of method(), if it is a pear object, $obj->method() will result
in a userspace method invokation that actually calls the native implementation
adding a further level of indirection for each method call. for something like
while($mysqli->fetch_row()) {} this could be an issue (though i don't know how
much of an issue).

> > exception vs. warning.
>
> The underlying function can still print warning. No exceptions needed.

you're missing the point. if i invoke a method i don't expect it to print a
warning, i expect it to throw an exception (most likely) and imho this is the
prevailing opinion in oo.

harald