Sascha Schumann wrote:
if even that description doesn't work, then nothing would work, not even
changing the name.

    Well, it is obvious that some folks don't read that
    description and simply move forward, because "php-dev" sounds
    about right.  They are "PHP developers" and so a list called
    "php-dev" makes absolute sense to them.

- Sascha

A couple thoughts....

Aside from renaming the php-dev list, we should remove the 'PHP and Zend Engine internals lists' from the regular mailing list page, put them in a 'developers' section (name isn't important) that describes cvs access, dev email lists, how to build (ie. win32 libraries), etc. That way it is completely removed from the regular stuff that normal php users will gravitate towards. It would help to clarify what is for the php community at large, and what is for the community of developers that work on php itself.

Then another item that might be considered if it is not already done, allowing posts only from those that have cvs access. A second conditional list of allowed posters can be added that are people who do not have cvs access, but we want to allow to post. Otherwise, the list can be readable by all. A post rejected message could tell them to try a different email list, but if they really feel the email is for the dev list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and it will be reviewed by someone when they get the time.

Shane