since when is false equal to one? in PHP, false is represented
by string(0) "", and true by 1. so, you really want
<?php if (! $a) print !$a; ?>

At 19:33 10.1. 2001, Neil Zanella wrote the following:

>On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Toby Butzon wrote:
>
>> : <?php if (! $a) print "Hello, World!"; // script 2 ?>
>>
>> $a evaluates to false, the ! reverses it, and it prints "Hello, World!"
>
>What is bothering me is the following: if variables that are not assigned
>a value were to evaluate to false then since false is the same as the
>number 1 the following PHP script should print the number 1 but instead
>prints nothing:
>
><?php if (! $a) print $a; ?>
>
>How is this behavior justified?
>I could not find anything on this in the PHP manual.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- Neil
>

>--
------end of quote------

Cynic:

A member of a group of ancient Greek philosophers who taught
that virtue constitutes happiness and that self control is
the essential part of virtue.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]