Fortunately I've recently done some research into this - here
are a few links to get you going:

http://www.phpwizard.net/resources/tutorials/session_intro.html
http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/session.php

and here are more links if you are interested in storing your
session info in a database - these are specific to MySQL, but
the concepts are the same no matter what db:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/ying20000602.php3
http://www.phpbuilder.com/tips/item.php?id=177
http://phpweblogs.com/adodb
http://phpweblogs.com/adodb-sessions