I hope you don't mind me nagging on this ;) but what do you mean by having
to echo changes into the /minisite directories?

What I meant was, from minisite45/index.htm, include() the same content
include file you use in /index.htm. I'm not seeing why the
/minisite<x>/index.htm pages need to change at all? The only thing that
would change is the content of the include()'d file that /index.htm, and the
minisite/index<x>.htm include.

/index.htm

<etc etc>

<? include "main_include.inc"; ?>

main_include.inc:

<some possible html tags>
<? echo "Welcome". ($minisite ? " from $minisite" : "."); ?>
<some possible html tags>

/minisite45/index.htm

<?
$minisite = 45; /* or even a snip that dynamically gets it from the
script_name */
include "main_include.inc";
?>