Greetings,

I've run into a problem on my Win2k computer running IIS5 and PHP
404pl1. I've got a page set up to pull a page from CNN.com, parse it for
headlines, and print the results in an organized table of links.
Everything's been working fine since the beginning of January, but
suddenly it dies with a PHP warning and my die() message:

<PHP WARNING>
Warning: fopen("http://www.cnn.com/desktop/content.html","r") - No error
in _file_extract.php on line 5
<MY DIE() MESSAGE>
Unable to open http://www.cnn.com/desktop/content.html

The line that's generating the error looks like this:
$file = fopen($url, "r") or die("Unable to open $url");

So I figured maybe something was up with my fopen()... but apparently
not. I also have the same page connecting to the mysql server on
localhost to request a list of my reminders & tasks that need to be
done. However, connecting to the db server (on localhost) also dies with
the following:

<PHP WARNING>
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't create TCP/IP socket (10091) in
basic_functions.php on line 9
<MY DIE() MESSAGE>
Error: basic_functions.php:9

Unable to connect to database

So now I'm completely stumped. I haven't changed anything as far as the
scripting on the page goes. I've tried rebooting (seems a likely
solution for windows, but it didn't work :/), I upgraded to the latest
PHP (I had been running 403), and even using the ISAPI module instead of
the CGI...

My apologies if it's obvious and I'm just not seeing it. Any ideas?

--Toby Butzon