On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Dave Goodrich wrote:

> The problem is that some of our customers are now blocking mail from user
> 'nobody', regardless if the account exists or not. I can have PHP write the
> complete headers but that doesn't stop the 'from' header in Sendmail being
> written (the true user process). I have two choices as I see it.
>
> 1) Use 'masquerade_envelope' feature in Sendmail
> 2) Change the process name PHP/Apache is running under
>     (ex: change the unprivledged user 'nobody' to 'fantasic-elastic')

You have one additional option.  You can make the nobody user 'trusted' by
sendmail.  It's been awhile since I've done this but I believe you need to
add a line to /etc/sendmail.cf along the lines of "Tnobody".  Don't forget
to restart sendmail for the changes to take effect.  Then all you have to
do is pass your own From: header and you're set. (it should be noted
however that the Return-Path: header will always remain 'nobody'.

--Steve