It's somewhat annoying to have to tell the function which variables are
global sometimes but overall it makes it easier to avoid stupid
mistakes. It is a good push to make me less prone to making things
global. Usually I just avoid using globals and then pack what I do use
into appropiate arrays and thus save myself most the hassle. In several
thousand lines of code I may have one or two global vars called.