> Is there any reason why php is better than perl for shopping carts
> and/or product catalogs?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

It's hard to just come out and say that php is better than perl for shopping
carts because there's too many factors to take into consideration.

If you were a person who'd never used either, I'd guess that php might be
better to use because the essential ingredients are pretty much already
included with php, such as session handling, form and url data processing,
and a wide variety of database functions.

That's not to say the same things aren't fairly easy to plug right into perl
by way of readily-available modules, but it's probably a bit of extra work,
especially for the beginner. Someone who already uses perl would likely have
libraries for these things already installed/handled anyway though.

I think the syntax might be a little easier to understand in php too,
although it's sure to be a personal preference thing to a large extent.

To me, the bottom line is go with the one you feel most
productive/comfortable with. They're both about as cross-platform portable
as each other (I think?) and both are pretty robust under heavy load,
especially when you're not using the cgi.

jason