----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Phiffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 11:24 AM
Subject: [PHP] Multi-select inputs and naming

> Hello,
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that for a multi-select input, PHP
requires
> that the name attribute end with square brackets (i.e. <select
> name="my_select[] multiple>") in order for the submission be handled
> properly?
>
> I know this is somewhat nit-picky, but this seems to unnecessarily expose
> the underlying technology such that scanning the HTML source reveals that
> PHP script will ultimately parse the submission.
>
> I'm hoping there's some alternative technique I've missed...
>
> -Dan

Yes.  The values must be passed as an array.  In order to do that the select
tag requires the [] braces.  The proper syntax is:
<select name="my_select[]" multiple>
<option>One</option>
<option>Two</option>
<option>Three</option>
</select>

<?
// To read the selected items...
for($i=0; $i<count($_POST['my_select']); $i++)
{
    echo $_POST['my_select'][$i]."<br>";
}
?>