Hi folks,

I have now hacked out a little name module on the lines discussed.

The aim is to capitalise names which user has entered in all
upper or all lower case. It would be useful in situations such as an
e-commerce checkout where ease of use is more important than accuracy
and you don't want to hold them asking them to re-enter.

It can handle full names, first names or last names.
It deals with a range of prefixes (von, van, de la, ap, St. etc etc),
suffixes (III, 3rd etc) and hyphenation (Twistleton-Crump).

It can produce prefixes in full name format

Helmut von Battenburg

and salutation format:

Dear Mr Von Battenburg

as required.

If anyone wants a look and to do a bit of testing, please drop me a
line and I'll send the code. Also, I am sure it is anglo-centric. I
would be grateful if someone with a knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese
etc names wants to add more rules to internationalise it.

Once I have had some feedback, I will post the code somewhere, as
there doesn't seem to be anything like this in PHP, for some reason.

Cheers

Geoff Caplan
Advantae Ltd

http://www.advantae.com