header(), session_start(), etc. can go anywhere in a page (after any content) as long as you start the page using output buffering (ob_start()). Example (bad example) follows:

<?php

ob_start()
print this;
print that;

if ($forgot)
{
  // oops need to redirect
  header('Location: foo.php');
}

print this;
print that;

if ($forgot_again)
{
  // need session
  session_start();
}

etc.

Barajas, Arturo wrote:
Just clarifying a little.

The header() function doesn't necessarily go at the top. You can make whatever operations you need, but as long as nothing is echoed to the browser, there's no problem.

I mean:

<?
// Query to a database...

//Real long process...

header("Location: yournewpage.php?arg1=val1");
exit;
?>
--
Un gran saludo/Big regards...
   Arturo Barajas, IT/Systems PPG MX (SJDR)