I seem to remember reading somewhere about compiling PHP pages to
'bytecode' thus removing the need to distribute the source PHP pages.
I'm going to have the need down the road to distribute a PHP based app
to others and am curious about the same "hiding code" issues. I'm not
all that worried about people "stealing" code, but more making local
modifications when they're not supposed to. I know I could simply
protect the pages on the *NIX machines via decent file system
permissions except that the local admin has the root password.

Is there some type of bytecode compiler/interpreter combo for the PHP
engine? Either free or commercially available?