At 16:16 4-4-2003, you wrote:
> It looks like you are viewing a dos/windows file on unix. The ^M is
> carriage return, which is needed as part of a dos/window end of line
> sequence (carriage return, line feed) whereas unix uses just line feed.

Nope. They're UNIX-created and UNIX-modified. Does it matter if I downloaded
them onto my PC and then back onto the server? I don't think it should,
since I did a global search-and-replace of all those suckers.
Not 'Nope'.
It really does matter and it was one of the reasons I abandoned Perl, cuz that happened all the time. My files would look good and work on my pc and after upload they would not work and give a 500 server error. It had to do with the way the FTP programme send the file: as binary or as text file.
So the global search&replace was made undone when you uploaded as binary.

I quote from argentavis.hypermart.net/perl/dosunix.html:
" There is only a small difference between the two text format. For example, when you press Enter on a Unix type machine, a single newline character is printed to the file. In DOS, two characters are printed, a carriage return and a newline character. So when you make a Perl script in Notepad, and you upload it binary to a Unix type machine, this will immediately result in a compilation error. This compilation error will always return a 500 Internal Server Error. This is the reason why you should upload your scripts in ASCII format."