One thing that hasn't been mentioned explicitly about register_globals
turned to off is the readablity of the code and thus the reuse of code.
When you use GET, POST, etc... everybody reading your script knows exactly
where the data is coming from and can make a fairly good assumption to its
use. On the other hand when using register_globals on, you have no way of
knowing without having to step through the whole script.
And lets be honest, most developers tend to be sloppy on commenting their
code since they think it is perfectly self explanatory. (including me btw)

Another issue I haven't read so far is that making your scrip work when
register_globals is off makes it to be more compatible since scripts using
GET and POST array should still work on systems that have register_globals
turned on.

Regards
Stefan