[snip]
I'm worried that PHP won't scale well. And by scaling I don't mean under
heavy load, I mean maintenance wise :) I
can't imagine having to do a feature upgrade on a PHP project with more
than 100 files ... (this file requires that file which requires that one
and so on ...)
[/snip]

This is really a planning issue. PHP scales extremely well maintenance
wise if you plan the application well. IMHO a lot of PHP developers
operate fast and loose because the language allows it, therefore
planning is glossed over and maintenance issues get out of hand.
Conversely there are many well planned large scale PHP projects that do
not suffer from the maintenance problems you describe. I have seen this
problem in other apps using other languages...so I think that this is a
moot point.

Jay