On Friday 20 June 2003 01:11, dorgon wrote:
> > Maybe, there's a setting for this in php.ini.
>
> yes. there is:

Yes, I know there is ;-) The 'maybe' is maybe you have it set different on the
two systems.

>  >>declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable
>  >>call-time pass-by-reference, you can set
>  >>allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file.
> >
> > "pass-by-reference" has not been dropped, it is "Call-time
> > pass-by-reference" which is being deprecated.
>
> so call-time pass-by-reference is giving parameters as reference to
> functions, e.g.
>
> function returnObjectToAccumulator(&$obj) {...}
>
> If this feature is really dropped, how would you implement
> ConnectionPools for DB-connections for instance, or any classes
> managing a set of object and providing them by returning references?
>
> many OOP design patterns (primarily adopted from java) would not be
> possible anymore. I think this would be worth talking about.
>
> Is there any plausible reason for that decision?

"Call-time pass-by-reference"
=============================
  function doo($i_may_or_may_not_be_a_reference) {
    $i_may_or_may_not_be_a_reference++;
  }

  $i = 1;
  doo($i);
  echo $i; // 1
  doo(&$i);
  echo $i; // 2

// here doo() is not defined to have parameters passed by reference. The
decision on whether to pass by reference is made at run-time, hence call-time
pass-by-reference. It is this behaviour which is being deprecated.

So in the newer versions of PHP if call-time pass-by-reference is disabled and
you wish to pass parameters by reference you'll have to define your functions
accordingly:

  function doo(&$i_am_passed_by_reference) { ... }