ok, so now the variable names are registred and stored in the file. But
without values.
check this:

--firstpage.php----
session_start()
session_register('foo');
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS['foo'] = 'bar';
echo $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['foo']; //outputs bar;

transport by a href to:
----secondpage.php----
session_start();
echo $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['foo']; //outputs nothing

---
checking the contents of the file called /tmp/sess_{session_id}:
 !foo|

I guess it should be something like !foo=bar|

but, as I said, the values doesnt seem to stick in the file, just the names
of the variables.

I must be doing something wrong.

Regards
Ulf