mail() returns true if the email delivery worked, false if it failed.

However, occasionally the email delivery will work, but will fail at a later stage (a "delivery failed" message will be returned to the sender) - you can check for this by having a script check the mailbox that was sent from, and get all delivery failed messages. parse them for the email address and then you will know that it failed.

jasp

Tim Thorburn wrote:

Hi,

I've made a script that loops through a MySQL database and sends a message to all users with an email address on file. My client is now not certain if all their email addresses are accurate and would like to know which ones are and which ones are not.

Is there a way, using mail() to tell if an email was not sent to a specified address? I'm on a shared server, so I don't have access to logs other than the standard ones from apache for web tracking.

We're using PHP 4.3.0, MySQL 4.0.13, and Apache 1.3.26

Thanks
-Tim