Dave wrote:

looking for code snippets or links to examples of the following;

- Have a database with multiple fields that will be searched against (happens to
be PostgreSQL in this instance, but we can migrate any MySQL based
examples/code)
- We wish to score search results - ie: a match in "keywords" is worth 5 points,
"title" worth 3, and "description" worth 1, perhaps even so far as multiple
matches producing multiples of the point value(though that can be a later
consideration)
- Once we get the results, we would want to display in the order of the scoring,
most points first etc...

Obviously there are convoluted ways to accomplish, but I am looking to maximize
the database performance, limit the number of recursive searches, and use the
database/PHP each handle their portion of the search/score/ranking based on
their strengths and use of system resources.

appreciate any feedback

Dave

There is a module for Postgres that does indexed full text searching, with ranking:
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch_V2_Readme