Hi there,

am Saturday 19 July 2003 16:30 schrieb Curt Zirzow:

> Sam Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> am Friday 18 July 2003 23:08 schrieb Andu:
>>
>> > This may show my ignorance or my refusal to take for granted something
>> > I don't fully understand but I have a hard time figuring out the
>> > advantage of using classes as opposed to just functions. I am certainly
>> > new to php and at first sight classes seemed to cut a lot of corners
>> > but so do functions (with which I have more experience). The more I
>> > read about classes the deeper the confusion. Anyone can enlighten me?
>>
>> Im programming for a few years now in PHP. After trying to use classes i
>> dont see their point either. In most cases if i need a class-like
>> structure i do something like this:
>>
>> function thing_new() {
>>         return ++$GLOBALS['thing_resource'];
>> }
>
> The biggest thing classes do is resolve name space issues, even with
> this method you have namespace issues with your function name and your
> variables.

Sure i have to add and take care of the namespaces myself, but thats it and
the amount mental work compared to designing a class is imho lesser in my
way. And most times only 1 object of a class gets instanciated, which is to
much overhead in an application. And then u dont even need my construct.
And if you dont create an object and call the function in an static way
(via ::), then the whole benefit of the associated data is gone anyway and
the only thing you have is the namespace. So i dont give the Parser the
challenge of preparing a class representation and keep it simple. And at
last: no more copied objects.

> A big downfall with classes, however is there speed.  Benchmarking a
> function call vs. a class->method call, results in a significant
> difference and even more if your using a lot of classes.

Ok i just assumed that, but good to know for sure.

Sam